[meteorite-list] New, long, Carancas article II

From: star-bits at tx.rr.com <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 1:44:16 -0400

It would seem to me that if the stone fragmented in flight and was contained by the shock wave it would still be heated by the plasma and all the fragments would develop crusts. There appear to be some pieces with crust, but enought to match Schultz's theory?

---- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    Schultz and I both agree that a greater aerodynamic
efficiency will get a chondrite to the ground faster with
less loss of material, making an impact like Carancas
possible.

    What Schultz proposes is that the fragile material of
Carancas fragmented early on but did not "pancake" out
and cause an airburst, but was wrapped by the shock wave
around the hypersonic meteoroid into a "bullet" shape
that stayed together and kept its high speed to the ground.

.... What I proposed was that the Carancas impactor was an
elongated fragment to begin with. That is, it was a "sliver" of
asteroid that was 4 or 5 times longer than its width when it
entered the Earth's atmosphere. The results would be the
same: a faster trip to the ground in (mostly) one piece.