[meteorite-list] Fwd: New, long, Carancas article II

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 13:26:03 -0400

Hi Friends and Listees,

Just a few more comments on why this Schultz theory is refreshing IMO,
as crazy as it initially sounded:

If this mechanism is a valid one for larger objects, it raises the
following curiosities:

1. Why don't other stony meteorites with TKW's over a ton do the same
thing.
2. How many fair comparisons do we have in recorded meteoritidum that
are comparable, e.g. non-carbonaceous big falls which are slowed by the
atmosphere.
3. If this is a valid posibility, are our thought about "destroying"
killer asteroids by fragmenting them in even hotter water? e.g., what
if 10% of the fragments, to pick any fraction for argument's sake,
exhibit this behavior. We can't count on the atmosphere to be the
guardian angel for all pieces!
4. What happens to the fragmented material at the front of the
enveloped train of hurdling debris? Does it fragment and basically
vaporize (get smoked) and in so doing, open up a path for what's behind?
5. And if some pieces at the front survive, the friction will slow them
down - then BOOM collision with those behind - and could we have an
cyclical relay team progression of renewal of momentum at the head of
the train maintaining the overall velocity?
6. If this "rely team" mechanism is maintained by a long and massive
particle stream behind, is this effect possible: The actual shear at
the front is lowered substantially for the overall velocity, basically
using a sacrificial leading edge as a re-entry heat shield.

Not agreeing with the mechanism - nor disagreeing, just brainstorming a
bit. No doubt this was really smoking, does the energy disippated into
making the smoke serve as a shield - amazing concept...

Best wishes and Great Health,
Doug