[meteorite-list] New, long, Carancas article II

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:36:44 -0400

Sterling W. wrote:
"And by your next Post, you'd noticed the gigantic Fly in the Ointment
when you asked: "Why don't other stony meteorites with TKW's over a
ton do the same thing? In fact, there's a key word missing in that
question: "Why don't ALL other stony meteorites with TKW's over a ton
do the same thing?"

Hi Sterling,

Perhaps your basic assumption was right and we are seeing the start of
the invasion of the Monolith Monsters. I'll check with Professor
Flanders and see what he thinks...

I could care less whether the Schultz idea is correct or not for
Carancas - though all ideas need to be judged without bias to figure
out the answer there. It is much more interesting IMO to think about
what happens if a (semi)rubble-pile object entered the atmosphere.
Rubble-pile is one asteroid model that is accepted, so this is a
refreshingly new idea for me to yap about.

And this brings to mind the really exciting possibility that some
models of meteoric entry can be based on a liquidish and wave-like
behavior of the bolide, rather than a solid behavior. That is a very
bold assumption and will require Schultz and his supporters to get his
act well choreographed.

"In fact", there is no key word missing from my question. "Fact" is a
different animal from debate, and I hope you can keep this straight.
So to be more convincing kindly just give thanks when others are the
inspiration for your arguments.

On asking why we don't see this partial disintegration behavior on
other large impactors, I requested (mulled) some info to further
clarify this potential fatal flaw. However, the competing theories all
have their problems at the moment. Schultz's theory seems to address
the problem of fragmentation much better than an oriented stone that
wasn't slowed down enough by the time it his 10-15km altitude to have a
soft landing and not be shredded to bits as it smashed into the dense
atmosphere at 3 km/s.

I do disagree with the words you've put into Occam's mouth on two
counts. First, you're decided that Occam's razor applies only
positively to your scenario of carefully specifying dimensions of the
incoming object, rather than just saying it fragments apart as current
theory would usually expect. I wouldn't immediately conclude either is
less complexity. The mass was found fragmented. How it got there is
the challenge. If you pre-suppose it fragmented upon impact and you
don't have evidence to back that up, you are on thin ice.

Second, in breathing life into William Occam's postulate you are
relying on an "authority" to keep the mind closed to the Schultz idea.
There is no authority. You can quote a monk or even God, if you want
to do faith-based science. Better, just stick to the evidence. Wild
Bill actually told me he was on the fence regarding Carancas, too.

I was very careful in my comments to say I am still on the fence
regarding both the Schultz scenario as well as the basic oriented
single car choo-choo train scenario. What I do appreciate from the
Schultz contribution is the opportunity it gives for an open mind to
contemplate what would happen with a dense particle stream entering or
being created as a meteoroid.

As for the set of curiosities I posted which this novel theory would
make, I am glad you latched onto the first one to prove what you
already knew already (for my benefit, thanks). I did not post that
with any posterior revelation that there is a "Giant Fly in the
Ointment". There is no key word missing in my post...

I don't mean to come down harshly on the thought that a monolith could
be the answer ... but respectfully I see you have manipulated Wild Bill
Occam as well as my own statements in a way neither of us intended - I
do need to reject your argument for rejecting the new theory on the
block as more political than scientific.

Best wishes and Great Health,
Doug