[meteorite-list] Atmospheric ablation marks on Tektites?

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:40:23 -0700 (PDT)

Sean & all,

This is whipping a dead horse, but I hate to see
confusion perpetuated any more than it needs to be.

You wrote "The vast majority agrees they [tektites]are
of cosmic origin--" Surely you mistakenly left out
the "NOT"? Or maybe you use the word "cosmic" to
include everything in the cosmos, which includes
earth. Most commonly though, other people use
"cosmic" to suggest something not of the earth.

There is virtually no debate about LDG. Most listees
know that we can now point to a specific source crater
(Kebira) discovered a couple of years ago.

You have and have seen "splash-form" LDG pieces???
Please don't say stuff like that in a public forum
where it can only confuse those trying to learn. I am
sure it would take about 5 minutes to find a buyer
willing to pay over $1000 for even a small (but
convincing) example, and I might well buy it myself.
Maybe consider adding the term "pseudo-splashform" to
your pseudo-regmaglypt theme.

"Tektite and impactite - different animals". Yes, the
words mean different things, but they are not
unrelated. Virtually all (living) students of the
subject would accept that tektites are a subdivision
of impactites. Tektites are impactites, but not all
impactites are tektites.

Deep enough,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com