[meteorite-list] Meteorite ID suggestions sought

From: Frederick J. Wallace <fjwallace_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:16:09 -0400

Hi,
I am a HS science teacher and originally trained as a geologist
(mineralogy). I recently went out with my new GMT to Tucson, AZ and
tried searching in the Willcox Playa area for a day. I was accompanied
by some relatives and they searched with magnets. I didn't detect much
with thte GMT but was amazed at the quantity of strongly magnetic
material collected. I removed some obvious minerals (goethite, limonite,
magnetite (some with large crystals!)) and the obvious rust from human
origin but there are still some rocks that defy my initial ID. There was
also no obvious fusion crust or other telltale signs (flow lines, large
chondrules, etc.). I have also not search much of the material with the
GMT and if there is a technique for using that to tell them apart I will
try that but was initially interested in trying my geology skills. I
hope to have time this April to try to compare known meteorites with
some magnetic 'earth' material from nearby my house to use as a
reference for going through the material with the GMT if needed.
When searching through material to try to ID a meteorite from earth
rocks are there any additional hints anyone can give. If I get enough
hints to try I will write an article about this for the Meteorite
magazine (if one hasn't been written already - I don't remember it
though). Thanks for any help you can give!
Feel free to contact me at: fjwallace at snet.net or on this list. Thanks!
Jon Wallace