[meteorite-list] Auction at Bonhams on April 30 in New York.

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:45:42 -0400

yikes.

while i appreciate your frustration, a few tips:

---if at all possible, you do want to rely on shipping organized by
an auction house. this is typically subcontracted to bonded art
shippers (i.e., expensive shippers) or the buyer is provided a list
of such bonded shippers from which to choose.

---if the value of a purchased lot is predicated and the length of
the specimen (e.g., shark's tooth), and the measurement is
significantly off (and i assure you it's not bonhams which has made
the error but a misrepresentation on the part of the consignor), you
have every right to return the specimen as being falsely
represented. in some instances, you may even be able to negotiate a
better deal.

--finally, (and sometimes i have trouble remembering this one) only
bid an amount at which you will be delighted if your bid is
successful---even if your success was achieved by your paying the
full amount of your absentee bid.

all best to my friends in meteorites....

dp