[meteorite-list] "How Do You Know It's A Meteorite"?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 15:45:00 -0600

> My answer is very simple - "we don't know until a reputable lab says
> so".

I think that's a little extreme. There are certainly questionable
meteorites that need expert analysis, but most meteorites can be
identified as such with essentially 100% certainty by nearly anybody
with some experience in meteoritics, by simple physical examination
alone.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory