[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - April 10, 2008

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:29:50 -0600

Hi Mike and all.

Wonderful piece of Bruderheim. One of my favorites. Here's a pic of
my specimen if interested:

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2007/February/bruderheim1.jpg

However, upon further study of both your slice and that in Norton's
RFS book, to me, the pic in the book looks more like Millbillillie
then Bruderheim. The matrix of the picture you cited looks like it's
filled with plagioclase needles and crystals characteristic of a
glomeroporphyritic texture rather than that of an L6 chondrite. Also,
Millbillillie is known for an extremely thin overall crust while
Bruderheim often has a thick crust.

And of course most readers have likely noticed that the picture of
Bruderheim on page 189 looked a little too rich in chondrules. This
is, of course, because that picture is not Bruderhiem at all but
likely Moorabie, an L3 from Australia. How do I know this? Because the
exact same picture appears on page 188 with the presumed correct
caption.

My suggestion is to scale a frontal shot of your piece and try to
match the exact corner to one on the RFS pictured face. My eyeballed
attempt could not find a match.

Other thoughts?

Best,

Martin