[meteorite-list] What Started It All...?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 02:02:45 -0700

Hi Eric and all,
        Great post, Eric. I think about every 6 months the list should have
A "why I like meteorites" posting flood.
        It always reminds me there are SO MANY different reasons to love
Meteorites - from the wonder and awe they inspire, to the fixation of
Collecting rare (and "valuable") things so commonly found among
Homo sapiens - as though we have a "collector gene."
        My reasons evolve or change over time in their dominance of my
Obsession. It is no secret I have been fixated on hammers for several
Years. I ACHE for those that are known to exist, yet have yet to appear
In my collection. Hammers are, to me, the ultimate "witnessed fall"
And even non-collectors obviously find them fascinating when told
Which ones fell when and struck what. "REALLY?!" they say, when
You show them Peekskill, Sylacauga, Park forest (I have 9 or 10
DIFFERENT Hammers just from that one fall - the tow truck, the
Baseball bleachers, the fire house, the Barns House, the Garza house,
The plymouth, the welcome mat, etc..... "Oh, and this one killed a cow,
And that one....".
        They fascinate even the non-collectors - and I have never had a
collector over that didn't drool over my collection of hammers - and, as I
said, there are always dozens one can look foreword to getting, as it is
pretty
Much impossible to get them all. For instance, I doubt anyone will
Ever get the tiniest micro Bessey Speck of the Nogata, the Daoist
Shrine/monastery fall in Japan in 861 AD. I have seen a video of one of
The monks showing it to a visitor and seen it in the video - smaller than
A baseball - money means nothing to them, so, it is literally priceless.
To me, part of the allure is never being able to get every single one - and
Even if you did - more fall every year.
        Of course, I could go on for hours - as could nearly any collector
About any particular (or several) aspect (s) of meteorites that enthralls
Him/her.
        Ain't life grand!?
        Best wishes, Michael