[meteorite-list] It was intuition ? OK ?

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:09:06 -0600

Martin A. wrote:

Point 1:
> And on the other hand it would be a matter of price.
> Theoretically, only theoretically, a dealer could let throw each historical
> specimen into a microprobe and could do the same with a specimen in a famous
> museums collection and could compare the values, to improve the
> authenticity, but whether the collector would pay then the costs, if a 100
> or 200$ piece would cost then 1000$, I doubt.

Point 2:
> The dealers have to rate the provenience and to compare with other
> specimens, they have a lot to loose.
> Buying meteorites is to a certain degree a matter of trust, from the side of
> the collectors.
> >From side of the dealer it is a matter of his reputation.

Point 3:
> If this isn't sufficient for a collector, then he simply shouldn't buy any
> historic specimens, then he should collect desert meteorites, where the
> provenance is of less than secondary importance and the value is determined
> solely by the material itself.

Hello Martin,

The above three points express the essence of this issue as well as
demonstrate the potential for an exponential evolution of the problem.
So let's carry the implications of your points forward one more step:

Point 1: if you overtly tie price to provenience, an instantaneous
dilution of the trust between buyer and seller will occur now and
throughout the future. Imagine the choice between two 25g slices of
Ensisheim. One at $250 and one at $5000. They look similar, and once
purchased, can be claimed to be Ensisheim by the owner. The next sale
or trade of the specimen carries the weight of Ensisheim because those
involved have chosen to believe it is Ensisheim regardless of its
past. While this problem is alive and well with smaller pieces, once
the gram size (of this locality anyway) exceeds 10g, the specimen has
increased its importance as a representative of

Point 2: Overtly Tying provenience to dealer is even worse. I believe
this very discussion is addressing this very question, and while there
will always be a large factor in the equation for dealer reputation,
if the meteorite dealing landscape becomes as wild as used car lots,
then much of the novice and intermediate collecting market will be
wiped out. Yes, I know there is degree of this anyway, but imagine
Dealer Bob's Used Meteorites, buyer beware and a 10-day warranty on
provenience. Compare that to Bob The Meteorite Man's specimens that
come with stories, pictures, and a lifetime warranty on authenticity.

Point 3: Interesting idea. One or two more logical steps and local
rocks would make good collecting objects. Followed by concrete,
asphalt, and charcoal briquettes since many hot desert specimens still
require a considerable degree of trust of both science and seller.

The point of all of this is that there is a growing and documented
situation where the authenticity of rare material is in doubt. And
there are very few collectors who have experience with the material in
question, and I believe it is important for those very collectors to
be involved in this conversation.

Cheers,

Martin