[meteorite-list] It was intuition ? OK ?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:24:18 +0200

Hi Doug,

you forgot the basic point.
It's not about that Non-IMCA people, would be in any respect not honourable
people, nor about a separation in a club or cliquism, but while raging
against the system, you have to see, how people get in contact for their
first time with meteorites!

Do you know how sick and tired I am of telling to newcomers, sorry your
Nantan is no meteorite. Well, your Sikhote is called a "shrapnel" it has no
orientation, your NWA has desert varnish, not fusion crust, hmm I can't help
you, the restoration of your Campo slice would cost more, than you have paid
for it... and so on?

Doug, first of all your dialectic - dealers here, collectors there is wrong.
The utmost people which appear selling meteorites are collectors! They're
doing it for fun, to enlarge their collections, they are amateurs in the
meaning of the word (latin amare - to love), furthermore others who
frequently selling meteorites and which you would count to the dealers, do
it not for living, and finally the professionals they are rather an
exception, - and of course the professional dealers are almost all
collectors by their own.

That mixture you will find of course represented in the member structure of
IMCA too.

So. And listen, most collectors and of course most of the full-time dealers
feel a responsibility to maintain our hobby, to popularize it and to
generate new collectors. (Indeed some of the full-time dealers to a higher
extend as some collectors, they see it as a part of their profession, and of
course as a factor of their business).
So they are growing new collectors and guide them.
Man, in former times I had to spend 2/3 of my working time in coaching
beginners, in introducing rookies into our hobby and to explain them the
facets of meteorites, to recommend, what and where to buy - or in answering
question of people, who didn't know nothing about meteorites.
All independently on whether they intended to buy or not.
(and I'm glad and happy for the relief, that I can send them now to the new
fora in web, where their questions will be answered too).
Look, why does a dealer like Farmer, travelling all the time around,
organizing and selling fat museum chunks, does have tiny Gaos for a few
dollars in his assortment? Why do the Hupes, running around with planetary
fullslices, take the time, to cut and to polish hundreds of micromounts,
why do the Chladnis spend many weeks per year tinkering their Moon and Mars
boxes? Why does Eduardo create sets, with a booklet and a tiny meteorite.
And so on. Because they want to bring as many people as possible to that
fascinating hobby.

How do people come in contact with meteorites?
They do know nothing about them in beginning.
They watch something in TV, or they find a meteorite exhibited in their
planetarium, ect... and then they are going into the internet.

And there they hit a variety of meteorites and offers.
Doug - if they even don't know the "dealers" yet, how should it work, that
they know a collector? Especially when dealers are more present in web, then
most collectors?

No, firstly they hit "the market" in most cases, in finding meteorites
offered on ebay. A glorious mess.
They don't have any clues about meteorites, they can't discriminate yet,
which offer is serious, which offer is a wrong, which offer has an incorrect
description, which pieces are lousy and which are good. Nor do they know any
of the offerers.

And now we are at the decisive point.
Now the decision is felt, whether he ever will be a collector or whether he
will be lost for that field of collection for ever.

A dramatic event, he will buy his first meteorites!

What will he buy, Doug?
He has no experiences, he has no clues about meteorites, he doesn't know any
dealer nor collector yet, and he's not sure yet, whether he will like that
hobby or not.

He/She will buy the cheapest he can find.
He will buy:
Mekong-River-irons - ebay is full of that crap, offered by dealers from
Far-East and meanwhile from American mineral dealers as well.
He will buy Campo.
He will buy real Nantan.
He will buy, if he has a little more to spend, a Brahin.
He will buy, these auctions, which have almost no bids, because the offered
piece is a self-found stone from the garden.
He will buy from the starchasers-meteorites-sellers of the world a granite
as a Moon or a Mars.
He will buy a tektite, which is labelled as a meteorite.
He will buy a weathered unclassified NWA, which is looking like torn out
from the fillings of a road bed, but which is appraised in the auction as it
would be the Star of India.
He will buy from esoteric sellers Tibet stuff with no meteorite content.

That's it.
At home then, his Campo will rust, his Nantan will disintegrate, from his
Brahin the olivines will pop out, because nobody told him, how to store them
and that they are difficult to keep and often extreme rusters.
Do you think, Doug, that he ever will touch a meteorite again?

He will seek help, browsing in internet, addressing to a webpage of a
meteorite dealer or collector.
They will tell them, well it's well known, that these locales rust like
hell. Weren't you told about?
He will show his other purchases, and he will get the answer: Sorry, that is
a Mekong-magnetite and no meteorite, yah that star-chaser screwed you, it is
no Moon; no tektites are something different than meteorites, they are not
from space. Well yes, that's a true meteorite, but it has no fusion crust,
neither is it oriented, look I show you some pictures...

Do you think, Doug, he will carry on with meteorites, when he was burnt and
frustrated in that way?

And btw. if he doesn't know the responsible collectors and dealers,
but should buy at non-IMCA-members, how can he avoid to end at a Bob Evans
or a Chicago-Steve?

And now look - each member who joins IMCA has to sign a code of ethics. He
agrees to perform a proper business ethics, to care for the authenticity
ect.
This is already a inhibition threshold for those sellers, who give a .... on
their buyers, because why they should risk some trouble, if their crap is
selling also without IMCA-label? Plus those, who are aware, that they don't
know much about meteorites, let's say mineral dealers, having from time to
time an iron, esoteric sellers, or pendants and jewellery sellers, who might
have difficulties to recognize a true meteorite, won't feel the wish, to
join.
Well and such sellers, obviously having sold fakes, never would be accepted
by IMCA.

Secondly, any new member has to be recommended by two other members, which
are in a certain way obliged - or interested in, that their godchild doesn't
mess things up.

Thirdly: If a buyer of a stone, no matter whether he's a member or not, has
any troubles with an IMCA-member, he can address at anytime to IMCA, and
they will help to find a satisfying solution.
IMCA is a legal person, so in extreme cases, it can (and will) sue a member,
who had broken the code of ethics and refuses to acquit the damage.

Fourthly: Foul apples are always quickly expelled from IMCA.

I'm not a propagandist of IMCA, neither I'm horny to get a function there,
but what I can tell you from my daily work: IMCA is a BLESSING for our hobby
and our branch.

Doug, again, and good heavens! Collectors and dealers, who are not
IMCA-members, are of course also very honourable people and one can
excellently buy meteorites from them. A beginner soon will grow into the
meteorite scene and then he can buy of course also from non-IMCA-members,
but you have to see, that at the very start - and we have to care for
rookies to get a good start into our beloved field of collecting -
it simply DRASTICALLY REDUCES for them the risk to be burnt, if they buy at
the beginnig there, where they find an IMCA-label.

Really.
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----