[meteorite-list] meteorites not being able to leave certaincountries

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:47:47 -0400

Steve,

In Canada, as to the best of my knowledge, meteorites are protected under a
cultural heritage act. Same as Canadian works of art and historic
artifacts.

All of these items can be exported but the government wants scientific
and/or cultural institutions to have a chance to acquire these things in
order to keep heritage objects in Canada and available to Canadians. In
order to export meteorites, and any other item protected under the same act,
the seller needs to make an application and advise what they want to do.
Institutions can then make offers and try to acquire the piece. After some
time (perhaps a year?) the seller can then export the item if no reasonable
offers are made.

I believe this is how things work in Canada.

It is a shame that some nice Canadian meteorites can not be easily sold to
collectors around the world and perhaps meteorites should not be covered
under the same legislation as historic and cultural artifacts. If this were
the case then perhaps there would be more interest in Canadian meteorites
and falls would be more enthusiastically hunted.

Also, if Canadian can prove that they purchased a Canadian meteorite from
outside Canada then I believe that the meteorite, or part of it, can be
exported again without permission from the Canadian government.

I can understand where governments are coming from but I tend to believe it
is best if we did not have these restrictions.

Cheers,

Mike Tettenborn

P.S. Please try and use your space bar in future emails.