[meteorite-list] Posting sources

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:21:09 -0700

I agree. There were a few times several years ago when someone
demanded provenance on items I was selling only to have them contact
my source directly and attempt to take me out of the middle of the deal.
If buyers aren't sure that they can trust a dealer to sell them
exactly what is claimed, they should probably take there business elsewhere.

I was on the other side of this situation years ago.

Several years ago, a well known dealer called me on the phone and
said he had a fantastic deal for me - 0.10 grams of Governador
Valadares for $1,000. I said I wasn't interested but he pressed me.
When I asked about provenance, he balked but said that I could always
send it to a lab and have it tested. Hmmmm, destroy the specimen to
prove whether or not it is the Real McCoy. Kind of like dunking women
in 17th century New England - if they floated they were witches, if
they sank (and drowned) they were innocent. The dealer is still
making a full court press telling me how fantastic ( he always
described his specimens in the superlative form) this piece
was. But, as we talked, a few more tidbits came to the surface. In
fact, there were several "conditions" that came with the purchase of
the specimen. One - I couldn't tell anyone where I got it from. In
fact, it was best if I didn't tell anyone that I even had it. Two -
I couldn't ask for provenance, the source wanted to remain
incognito. Three - I had to buy it "right now" or the deal was
off. I saw red flags waving at me and I still held my ground about
not wanting the specimen. "You must be crazy," says the well known
dealer, " You could turn around and sell it for three grand easily."

Some of you, I'm sure, know what my next question to Mr. Pushy
was. When I asked him why HE didn't sell it for three grand there
was a very pregnant pause. Finally, his reply was the often used
tactics of those whose business practices aren't always on the
up-and-up. "It's starting to sound like you don't trust me," he
stammered. Well, to make a long story short, I hung up the phone and
added the dealer to my "black list".

Be careful about who you do business with. Don't let your emotions
overrule common sense.

Best,

John Gwilliam