[meteorite-list] Pronouncing Willamette and other meteorite names

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 02:45:25 -0700

OOPS,
        The way I wrote it did not make it clear that the
"stress" is on the "A," not the "will" or the "met."
        As for Allende, someone said there is nothing wrong
With "Anglicizing" a word....You would have a VERY
Difficult time living in So. CA - going to El Cajon (el ca hone)
And La Jolla (la hoy ya) etc. Even in LA, they pronounce
It "row DAY oh" Drive, not rodeo drive, as it was the Spanish
Name place originally.
        I certainly don't feel comfortable butchering the French
Falls and always ask Anne Black for the correct pronunciation,
Though it may take saying it 20 to 50 times to get CLOSE,
Since my tongue is used to only the sounds of English and
A little Spanish. French utilizes entirely unique sounds I have
To learn and can only do so with repeated practice with someone
Patient enough to correct me gently - such as the gracious Anne.
        The problem with "Anglicizing" a word is two fold:
1) it assumes an ethnocentric approach to the word and
2) it ignores the fact that language, itself, is the SOUNDS made,
NOT the written symbols. The written symbols are actually
Symbols of symbols (the sounds). The sound is the actual word,
Not the written symbols - which cross culturally NEVER capture
The sound correctly, since one language speaker does not even
Know how to (initially) hear the sound correctly, let alone be
Able to correctly pronounce the sound.
        Anyway, of course, you can call your mother or father's sister
"ant" or "aunt" and people will understand.... But one is correct and
One is less so. If you WRITE it the two different ways, one is DEFINITELY
Incorrect - but that is because the written word is expected to more
Rigidly adhere to grammatical and spelling conventions than is the
spoken word.
        Personally, I find learning the correct pronunciation to be of
interest, a challenge to master and overall a positive thing. If it isn't
Your "thing" then to whom does it really matter? At least, who cares
If it matters to anyone other than yourself. So, like so many things in
Life, it is as important as you make it - not a whit more or a whit less.
(But don't move to San Diego and ask someone directions to "el ka john"
Or they will think you are totally nutso).
        Best wishes, Michael