[meteorite-list] How to tell IMB Gaos from normal

From: PolandMET <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:02:13 +0200

> Hello Guys,
>
> Having just got more Gao's in, I am curious what external features on
> Gaos
> would indicate that a particular specimen has the Impact Melt Breccia
> features
> inside?
>
> I don't want to cut all of them up just to find a few (or maybe none)
> have
> the great flow.
>
> All input, especially photos, is greatly appreciated.
>
> Steve Arnold
> Arkansas

Hey Steve.
IMB Gaos have different shape and crust if melt material is on external
surface. You will see difference also on uncleaned specimens. They have
sharp edges and also sometimes they dont have crust on IMB material becouse
it is too glosy to hold it on place. But from my observation, if oriented
specimens are rare in Gao, then IMB specimens are triple as rare as
oriented. You can see some of the IMB samples on my Gao-Guenie page

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin(at)meteorite.pl
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM: +48 (793) kosmos