[meteorite-list] Book review of History of Meteoritics...

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 04:22:50 -0400

Sterling added:

"Martin Van Buren, Governor of New York, who later went on to be
President of the United States, neither the first dimwit, nor the last,
to hold that office."

Hi Sterling, Rob M.,

Very interesting! Here's a reference for anyone who would like to
bookmark it.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Incorrect_predictions

Kind of makes you wonder:

 - why such interest in Monday morning
   quarterbacking ad lib of all the famous
   personalities who have influenced civilization?
   Is it for the same pleasure of gawking
   on the scene of a fatal accident?

- the meteorite quote is included. I think
  that tells us to check the veracity of
  many of these supposed quotes.

Best wishes,
Doug

PS Anaxagoras was certainly a brilliantly insightful and deserving
philosopher. But, it was Diogenes who first linked meteoroids to
meteorites and a real meteorite fall. Why not say: Ironically, Howard
has a meteorite class named after him and not Anaxagoras? I don't
understand why everyone picks on Diogenes? It's been said, too, that
Diogenes doesn't deserve it as much as Chladni and it should have been
Chladnite or the like. (there already was a mineral or minerals in
meteoritics called Chladnite, now, a.k.a., some enstatite hybrid: also
See Dr. Bunch's 1969 article on the inclusions in the Tucson
meteorite).

Well science is in flux. Diogenite is a dinosaur of a term left over
 from an 1880's meteoritical typing system. One of those comfortable
homes in a confusing field that has resisted extinction. No doubt,
some day, someone, will see fit to dmp Diogies in favor of
orthopyroxenites and peridotites.

PPS see my webpage:
http://www.diogenite.com/diogenes.html