[meteorite-list] Ensisheim 2008 circular and program

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:28:11 +0200

(Sorry if this comes twice....)

Dear List,

The circular describing the 9th international meteorite show ? Ensisheim
2008 ? is finally ready. You can find it at the following web sites (from
next Monday April 28 on):

http://meteorite.ensisheim.free.fr
or
www.ville-ensisheim.fr.

I can also provide the circular (in English or French) by mail, as
attachment, to anyone, on specific request.

The main characteristics/changes/warnings... of the 2008 edition are the
following:

Dates:
June 21 and 22, 2008 (as always, the week-end preceding the Ste Marie
mineral show).
Friday 20 is the "dealer?s day". The palace rooms are open exclusively to
dealers and ?co-dealers? and, of course, to the organizing committee. This,
to avoid unnecessary wandering of many people through the halls while not
guarded and while dealers are busy in setting their tables. (Preliminary
business arrangements should be made in preference outside the palace).

The 2008 thematic display is related to all kind of meteorites (old,
historical, freshly found, large, weird, odd types
) found or fallen in
former Eastern Europe countries, including the wide Russia (from Pskov to
Provideniya). We hope to be able to show you many uncommon and nice
specimens, thanks to the cooperation of some keen specialized meteorite
collectors.
Thanks Sergey, thanks Marcin, thanks everybody who is willing to bring
along some ?Eastern specials? from their hidden collections and lend them
for display during the show).
Hey, this is a call for samples!

This year, the lectures are not directly related to the display.
We have selected two very different topics that are always of high interest
to every meteorite afficionado, (?Meteorite Classification? by E. Dransart,
from EMTT lecture on Saturday), and also to the wide public (?Controversial
Origin of the Moon?, by J.C. Lefebvre, our customary lecturer from
Astrophysics Institute in Liege University, Belgium, lecture on Sunday).

Friday PARTY:
He, he, this is now becoming a ?must?, as it uses to be in Tucson, Munich

Last year, for the first attempt, we were 94 of us comfortably ?squeezed?
in the La Couronne? cellar (for the first time we had a humid, medium-fresh
weather). As you could see from the selected pics sent last July, this
never did kill the hot ambience, animated discussions, enhanced by good
food and excellent wine (beer?).
This year, the similar dinner-party (so far absolutely unavoidable!) is
again scheduled on Friday night (June 20, after the late afternoon friendly
drinks and ceremonies) at "La Couronne" hotel, hopefully this time in their
even more snug outside resort (yes, we have ordered our friendly skies and
winds to co-operate).
A selected meal is proposed for 25 euro, everything included, except
beverage (imagine everybody?s shape the next morning if beverage were
included
).
Party can end any time.

Everybody (organizers, dealers, close friends, "loose" friends, relatives,
related, tramps, unknowns...) attending (or not) the enthroning ceremonies
and the "friendly drink" that follow the end of the dealer?s day (Friday
late afternoon, about 18:00), is welcome!
But please, let me know in time, thus before June 6 (flexible), if you want
to attend (and how many guests you will bring). Here, reservation is a
must, for obvious reasons (menu selection and preparation in advance).
Fun absolutely guaranteed during the party (the one who could not have fun
must pay ME a beer!)
And ask for a wake-up call if you don't want to miss the start of the
"meteorite hot rush" the next morning...

Other meals:
Saturday and Sunday: traditional lunches.
Saturday dinner: traditional "roasted (or alike) wild boar?, served on the
main "dancing" square, carefully ?stewed? by the team of cooks from "La
Couronne".
Friendly prices were negotiated.
Should you wish the special vintage "Ensisheim-Meteorite 1492" Pinot Gris
to accompany your meals, it will be permanently available at its tag price.

The Guardians Confraternity is still permanently providing all other
traditional snacks, including the very popular "tarte flamb?e" (Alsatian
pie), all served outside, on the main square (or inside the sun-protected
tent, - as said, rain is neither invited nor envisaged).
All the other activities on the main square (beer, wine sale, beer, tee
shirts, beer, discussions,, beer...) are maintained (some highly recommended!).

Accommodation:
As last year, we have now 4 comfortable hotels to propose, namely ?La
Couronne?, ?Niemerich?, ?Cheval Blanc? and the newly open (2007), "Le
Domaine du Moulin". Everybody must arrange for his own accommodation. You
can find all hotel data (phone, fax, e-mail, web sites) in the circular.
And, if you call, they do speak English!

This year again, 5 new "brothers" will join the ?funny assembly? of the
?Meteorite Guardians?:
Svend B?hl (D), Mike Farmer (US), John Kashuba (US), Hans Koser (Uy) and
Philippe Schmitt-Kopplin (F but working in Munich).
Hmmm, I have the bad feeling that some of them were even not yet notified
of their selection (!??)(sorry John, Hans
). But I will write you soon,
amigos, officially, with the good news and some requirements, hoping you
will accept!

What is maintained in 2008:
- Table prices, entrance fee (4 euro for adults), number of tables (limited
to 55) and their position in rooms, reservation procedure (just write me!)
and contacts.
- Marcin is still welcome to handle his cutting saw on the main square (but
no news from him so far about that!)
- Some space in the consignment room is still available, free of charge,
for those, especially guests coming from far away, who wish to sell some of
their meteorites (ideally about 10-15 pieces). Just write label and price
and leave the pieces in locked tables, with info on how you should be
contacted by potential customers during the show.
- Of course, we expect to see (acquire?) much, much new and hot (or cold!)
stuff from space! I bet some of the beauties to be offered are yet to be
found or to fall, others just fell recently (eh, Mike ?)....We expect again
a great 2008 "meteorite vintage"!
- And, needless to mention, the FUNNY (crazy ?), friendly and ever smiling
show ambience, that is progressively acquiring an ever growing reputation,
is absolutely guaranteed (by YOUR simple presence), for sure!

Warning:
Many people did already reserve their tables by mail. I will now be
starting compiling their requests and finalize their places.
HOWEVER, because of recent mail trouble and also of my temporary absence
from Mulhouse (this year I was often on short research trips), may I ask
everyone who did already reserve a table during the past weeks or months,
to CONFIRM THEIR RESERVATION (mail) once again from now on ?
This is easier for me to handle, and safer for you.

We still have free tables, although the main hall is more than full.
(strange that many prefer to be the main hall despite the fact that the
adjacent rooms are equally attended by the guided crowd flow and that
?great business? is also achieved in these quieter, well ventilated places
).
Anyway, I recommend you don't reserve too late!
And our former guests who did not yet send their traditional "hello", are
urgently requested to confirm (or cancel) their wish to keep their usual
tables at their preferred place.

Well, that's about all, folks.
There is much more to be said but I prefer you now ask specific questions
(on or off list).

My never ending wish is that Ensisheim, just as all the other at least as
famous shows or events, closely or subtly related to our beloved meteorites
(Gifhorn, Tucson, Santa Mesa, Munich, Ste Marie....), brings to all again
meteorite passion, fun, faith and friendship.

Best wishes,

Zelimir

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Universit? de Haute Alsace