[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

As I understand it, President Teddy Roosevelt had a special piece of legislation passed by the Congress which took Meteor Crater and the surrounding lands from the Navaho people and gave them to Barringer if he would mine it. Teddy wanted nickel steel for munitions, and in this act preceded Stalin and why he funded Kulik's work at Tunguska, looking for mickel steel. Of course, Barringer did not know that the impactor had largely vaporized into spherules, and ended broken when he learned this.

I would like to thank those at Tucson who supplied me with meteorites in 2007, and I used them last weekend at powwow for a talk. I still have not finished my Canyon Diablos for fire starting, and I am still reeling from my stroke, and likely will be for the rest of my life. I am hoping a major publisher, one with copy editors, graphic artists, production, and distribution will pick up "Man and Impact in the Americas", but what is more likely is that later writers will simply "borrow" pieces of it without acknowledgment.

A copy of a draft of my expose of today's fringe is still available for free by writing me, and as always signed copies of "Man and Impact in the Americas" are available to list members at a greatly reduced price.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas