[meteorite-list] A question about an iron fleck in NWA 2977 Lunar

From: Zelimir.Gabelica at uha.fr <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:26:00 +0200

Dear Randy & list,

Randy, I fully appreciated your very explicit statement regarding
metallic phases in lunars.
This is actually important and fundamental regarding the orgin of
metal or the history of lunar meteorites (and other) and I am
surprised of the lack of reactions.

I have here a comment and a couple of questions

Comment:

I recently got (from the team Altmann/Ralew - Chladni'd Heirs) 2 small
pieces of NWA 3186, still not officially approved by the NomCom but
said to be a lunar olivine gabbro (classified by Greshake in Berlin)
and suspected (at least by me but also by others) to be probably
paired with NWA 773, 2727, 3333 and possibly the others ofthe series.
The texture (from the sections cut and polished on my 0.753 g and
1.132 g fragments) fully resembles the pics shown on your link.

Well I carefully examined these sections under a simple 40x
magnification (binocular with light oriented so as to have metallic
reflexions favored). On the largest section (1.132 g piece) I clearly
detected an about 0.3 mm Schreibersite area, possibly along with a
couple of 10 times smaller such spots).
This schreibersite (identified visually, thus through its special
color/shade, by comparison with the same mineral observed on many
other meteorite sections) is observed on the black breccia surface
portion (about 60%, the other 40% being almost pure olivine as in the
paired NWA's).
I neither observed more schreibersite on the other piece, nor on my
0.277 g NWA 2977 slice (pure "olivine"-like texture), nor on any other
of my other 14 lunar samples.

On examining all my lunar samples, just DAG 400 (lunar anorthosic
breccia) clearly showed about 30-35 very tiny metallic spots
(contamination totally excluded), that have the usual typical shade of
the Fe,Ni metallic spots in most meteorites (steel-gray).

2 small questions:

- Did you ever observe screibersite domains on lunar meteorites (won't
be a surprise if schreibersite originates from the impactor) and, if
so, would the (Fe,NI,Co) phosphide be also be richer in Ni than, say,
schreibersite found on other oc's ?

- Speculating that you for sure well know that NWA 3186, could you
confirm it is also be paired with the others mentioned above ?

Thanks much for any comment or answer.

Best wishes to all,

Zelimir

Randy Korotev <korotev at wustl.edu> a ??crit? :