[meteorite-list] 2008 Perseid Maximum approaching

From: Jay & Annette <AJSnyder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:11:10 -0700

Hello List and Bernd,

For the skies over the greater Las Vegas area they were perfect. I was
above the 6000' ft area
at Mt. Charleston, NV. from 2215 until 0415 and witnessed 240 meteors,
falling from all directions.
Most of them from the radiant, but a few came from behind me, not to mention
the far extreme
sides, towards the horizon. The shower peaked right on schedule about 0200
here, with a maximum
of 67 meteors falling from 0200 to 0300hrs. Overall the weather was clear,
a cool 56 degrees and I also had two
cameras pointed at the sky. I used my two trusty Olympus OM-1/(n) with
traditional KodaChrome 200
and also Fuji Sensia 400 slide film and will have the results shortly. In
2005 I used the same set-up and caught
three Perseids on film in which I was quite pleased with. I moved the
cameras to several points throughout
the sky after a few minutes of "open shutter". Now if I can just rid of
this aching stiff neck.....

Jason Snyder