[meteorite-list] Another Nininger moment

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:47:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Apparently, Nininger ascribed the Carolina Bays to impact in 1939:

http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?name=Articles&file=article&sid=86

A hypothesis which was later picked up on by Otto Muck.

Thankfully, I had the 14C dates for these available for "Man and Impact in the Americas", and did not make that mistake.

The possibility still remains that all of these "bays" are the results of many different impact megatsunamis which occurred at other times.

However that may be, the disappearance of coastal cultures on the east coast of North America between 1150-1050 BCE is well documented. The Maya claimed it was due to an impact megatusnami, but then what did they know?

What will be interesting will be to see the results of the new USGS cores which are being made in the area

PS - I am bitter that we no longer have the Cambridge Conference working solely as a place to has out this data. I am still reeling from my stroke.)

good hunting all
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas