[meteorite-list] Mobile Meteorite Command Center

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:21:57 -0700 (PDT)

Doug asked:
PS What ever happened to the Mobile Mohave Command Headquarters? PPS "move south" hmmm... 86.844838 % of the Earth is south of you, and > that doesn't include Groenland :)

The Mobile Meteorite Command Center (MMCC) is still in a state of complete readines. After spending six months working on the things that make it meteorite-hunter friendly a year or so ago, all systems are a go and have been tested. The bar in the 14' slide-out lounge is fully stocked, the FM communication systems work flawlessly and the computer works in broadband mode remotely. The entertainment systems including a computer linkable stereo, flat screen TV, movies and international music library have all been dialed in. The magnetic canes, metal detectors, GPSs and Camelbacks are all in proper stowage as is the Isomet saw and Nikon stereo microscope. The toughest part of the project was having a remote gas line and manifold installed so that a 120 pound expidition stove and a gas powered fire pit could run off the massive dual propane tanks that will last over a month in the field. I know it sounds yuppy but who wants to camp out in a tent or stay in
 a motel with bed bugs when you can be right on the spot of interest.

I have only field tested it once at a campground and everything worked fine.

Here is a link to the inagural system tests in the relative safty of a friend's driveway:

http://themeteoritesite.com/MMCC.jpg

I long for the days I actually have time to put it into action. Perhaps this fall when I move to Nevada or pray for a U.S. fall so that I have an excuse to drop everything and hit the road. In any case, I have been completley distracted for the last year thanks to NWA 5000.

Best Regards,

Adam