[meteorite-list] Question about unsolicited meteorite sale offers via email

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi listoids and met-fans!

I have a question for the more experienced long-time members of the list.

About 4 or 5 times a week, I will get an email out of the blue from someone
overseas (presumably, judging by the email headers and name) who is
offering to sell me meteorites. The email is typically in broken English
from someone with an Arabic-sounding name and there is also one or more
photos of "meteorites" attached to the email. Usually there is no
mention of a price and I am invited to negotiate via email or telephone.

I started getting these emails when I "graduated" from being a collector
to a dealer. When I threw my hat into the dealer arena, these emails
started and they haven't stopped.

So, my question is, how many of these emails are legit? Has anyone
ever followed-up on one of these emails and actually bought a meteorite?
I know some of these are probably scams, and others may be legit, but
how does one distinguish which is real and which is bogus?

I am not about to bite on one of these unless the seller is an IMCA and/or
MS member, or is someone well-known to this list. But the businessman
in me can't help but think that maybe I have ignored a couple of good
opportunities to purchase a meteorite.

Any thoughts or feedback on this subject would be appreciated.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale