[meteorite-list] (meteorite-list] Metal detector on Achondrite

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:53:05 -0700 (PDT)

Metals detectors are just that metal detectors and are used in searching for metal bearing H/L/LL/EL chondrites and irons.

Native iron in stoney achondrites is excedingly rare, only incidental, and certainly in not in eucrites or diogenites. So neither metal detector nor magnet would be suitable if looking for them specifically.

Sometimes metal is found in carbonaceous chondrites, aubrites, winnotites and could be found in the other primative achodrites but hardly in more than background quantities.

So in answer to your question, metal detectors are not suitable for detecting achondrites as a whole. For now the eyeball is the best detector.

Elton