[meteorite-list] Texas meteorite find ...possible hoax.

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:44:41 -0500

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the "heads up" on this (find?).

Being very familiar with Texas caliche and limestone, I am curious as to
how
the finder cleaned the sample so well. Everyone around here knows that
anything that has been entrapped in a caliche and/or limestone deposit
sticks
to the object worse than bubble gum sticks to the bottom of a boot on a hot
day.

Did the finder mention if perhaps he had dunked the iron in an acid bath?

That's a quick and easy way to clean the limestone off, but a terrible
way to
preserve an iron.

Just curious because it sure looks cleaner than picks and brushes would
get it.
However, the silicate inclusions and coarse crystals appear to make it a
slam
dunk to be an old iron. Now if you can just nail down where it's really
from.

Best regards,

Jerry Wallace
Odessa, Texas