[meteorite-list] follow up on Ziz vs. new iron RFSPOD August 14

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:45:10 +0200

to all interested,

The Hmanis asked me to forward a follow up on their new irons including a
34kg specimen they had displayed at this year's Enisheim/France meteorite
fair. One of the new finds acquired from another dealer was kindly posted by
Michael Johnson as Rocks from Space Picture of the Day on August 14.

M. Hmani informed me that he had meanwhile been issued a "certificate" by
the Etudes Metallurgiques et de Traitment Thermique (EMTT) which arrives to
the conclusion that "grain size and structure of the new material is
identical with Ziz (NWA 854)". Mr. Hmani was so kind to forward me the
certificate on my request and allowed me to upload the paper on my website:
http://www.meteorite-recon.com/en/Meteoritensammlung.htm (see Inventory #
B-0243)

To my understanding the paper states that the questioned iron is an og
octehedrite such as Ziz. According to the certificate a microscopic analysis
of an etched surface has been performed but no element mapping or neutron
activation scan. I assume, the certificate does not intend to claim a
pairing. Please note that this is my personal opinion.

cheers

Svend

www.meteorite-recon.com