[meteorite-list] article sent to list from Twink Monrad

From: Jerry A. Wallace <jwal2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:30:20 -0500

> Even though it's unusual to see a meteor or meteorite during the day,
> Dougall said they are pretty common.
> "The Earth gets struck constantly by meteorites. Constantly," he said.
Sounds like if the interviewer had probed Mr. Dougall's thoughts a bit
deeper, he might have said:

"I'm always dodging the damned things left and right. They're mighty
pesky critters, them meteorites. Had a
really close call with one last Thursday. Almost got it right in the
teeth. Just one little misstep or miscalculation
as to their speed or trajectory and you're fried mush. It's a bloomin'
wonder more people aren't hit by the
rascally things. But then maybe that's why we seem to be having so many
mysterious disappearances lately.
People that are hit by a fast, sizable fireball are immediately
vaporized. Happens so fast nobody notices. Just
the smell lingers a bit. But even that's gone in a hurry if there's any
breeze. Yep, meteorites are probably the
culprit, all right. Seems like it's way past time for a major government
investigation into the matter."

Or not.

Jerry W.