[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 19:08:28 -0500

Yeah Jason, I didn't refer to your email in its entirely---a tall
order given the length of such rants. Nor was I wasn't responding to
"your message" as there were other contributors to the thread, and my
statement kind of stood on its own as a general review of the currents
in valuation. Jeez.

For the record, Mike Farmer's report of Udei Station having sold for
just $2/gram at Bonhams today.....

...that's right. My consignment. Competitively priced.

Collectors are not hurt by a shake-out of the outliers---those mega-
low and mega-high anomalies--I actually believe we would all
ultimately benefit.

Sincerely / Darryl

On Dec 7, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Jason Utas wrote:

> [...]
> way...as I'm sure others will as well. I've heard reports that the
> tkw could be well over 200kg or more; if, after a mere week of amateur
> hunting in sub-zero temperatures and restricted access, 40+kg were
> recovered...how much of any fall is ever collected in the first week?
> Maybe 10%? Maybe 20?
>
> - Sorry for the lateish reply, but I was at the Bonhams Auction.
>
> Jason
>
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Darryl Pitt <darryl at dof3.com> wrote:
>>

>> Jason,
>>
>> Small detail....I never mentioned Park Forest. And speaking of
>> being "at a
>> loss for words," I don't quite know how to respond to your
>> unbridled attack
>> on "my" point of view regarding the same(?!)
>>
>> As it regards the Chergach and Bassikounou examples, I sincerely
>> believe
>> that irrespective of how inexpensive initial suppliers sell
>> material, that
>> it is incumbent on us to consider the implications of our pricing
>> in the
>> marketplace.
>>
>> I take a longer view of such anomalies. Just because I was offered
>> Chergach
>> at $0.50/g doesn't mean that it's responsible for me to widely
>> offer it for
>> $1.50/g even though it represents a 200% profit to me. Whether we
>> can
>> quantify the effect or not, beyond cheap meteorites have an effect
>> on the
>> rest of the marketplace. They create their own "gravity." That's
>> all I'm
>> trying to say.
>>
>> All best / Darryl
>>

>> On Dec 7, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Jason Utas wrote:
>>
>>> Darryl,
>>> Low-end numbers? Even Park Forest which was witnessed, caught on
>>> numerous videos, and fell in a densely populated urban environment -
>>> in what may well be a majority of cases, hitting man-made objects,
>>> was
>>> selling for $30/g or so at the time of the fall - a price which has
>>> stayed roughly the same, if it hasn't come down a few dollars per
>>> gram
>>> since then.
>>> How much Park Forest was recovered? According to this report,
>>> roughly
>>> 30kg.
>>>
>>> http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Aug04/ParkForest.html
>>>
>>> More of this fall has been recovered in the past week than from the
>>> entire fall of Park Forest.
>>> It hasn't hit anything interesting, as far as we know.
>>> It's an ordinary chondrite - even Park Forest had some pretty
>>> brecciation/melt. I've heard of nothing of the sort from this fall.
>>> It was caught on video, granted, and that does make it special in
>>> one
>>> way...why you think that should boost the value of it to twice the
>>> value of the undoubtedly more interesting Park Forest, also caught
>>> video (and five or ten times the price of other comparable falls), I