[meteorite-list] Name the new Canadian fall

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:54:27 -0500

Jeff and List,

Wondering who has final authority in naming new meteorites? I know there
are some general guidelines (nearest post office or town or landmark) but
who has final say? Will the peopel from U of Calgary be allowed input? Can
the met list opinion influence the final name?

I am asking these questions in hopes of influencing the final name of the
new Canadian fall. It has been rerefed to as Lone Rock (too John Waynish
for a Canadian stone), Marsden (Not bad but no distinct Canadian sound),
Lloydminster (Getting better) and Buzzard Coulee (Now we are talking!)

Looking at the map there are some other cool names close by such as Unwin,
Zumbro and Manitou Lake. Manitou being the Ojibwey name for the Great
Spirit or spirits.

Well, if it counts, my vote would be for Buzzard Coulee.

Cheers,

Mike Tettenborn,
Owen Sound, Ontario