[meteorite-list] Meteorite Name Game

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:34:30 -0500

Hello Mike and Jeff,

This reminds me of when (Amgala) Oum Dreyga was brought to being. Our team
(Moroccan hunters and us) received the first of the stones to be recovered
and submitted the type sample for classification and "Amgala" as the name.
As more stones were recovered, "Amgala" was the recognized/used name
(amongst collectors and some scientists). As some time went by, more, larger
material was found in Oum Dreyga (approximately SSW from Amgala) and in
between from Amgala.

Some months after we sent in the classification, another team from France
submitted a type sample and asked for the name, "Oum Dreyga", from which the
name was officially recognized and "Amgala" became a synonym of it. I
personally think that the area from which the first material was collected
should be the assigned name (most likely the stones started falling here),
but perhaps the area from which the largest stones were recovered was
preferred by the committee.

A fun lesson in naming, none the less!

Best regards,
Greg