[meteorite-list] More Meteorite Geography Trivia

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:49:14 +0100

I fully agree.

Now a pure statistic evaluation tells you that if you are waiting in your
front yard having a surface of 1 squere km, for a meteorite of 1 kg to
fall, you'll have to wait (on the average) for...10 million years! (if my
memory is right, I hesitate between 10 and 100 milloin but the message is
the same).

A funny related joke we use to tell our visitors in Ensisheim show:
"If you are affraid a meteorite would fell on you, just don't worry! A
bolid of about 125 kg fell right here 516 years ago, so you are
statistically speaking, totally safe!"

I know Sterling will contradict me and I will agree!
A typical counter-example is the Weathersfield meteorite that fell in CT on
almost the same place in 1971 and in 1982.
Both were L6!...

Keep smiling,

Zelimir

A 12:11 13/12/2008 -0600, Sterling K. Webb a ?crit :