[meteorite-list] THIS IS NOT THE IMCA list. TAKE IT ELSEWHERE

From: al mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:03:48 -0500

Hi Greg, Uwe and other newer list members,

In the beginning when the list first started, Art didn't want or wouldn't
tolerate ads on the list. Then there was a great outcry to allow
announcements of new items and occasional ads. Art asked for input on how
the majority of the list felt about ads and after consideration and after
being bombard by requests to allow it (to the point of being nagged) He
consented to allow ads on occasion.

With the number of meteorite dealers growing and compounding there was a
time where there were so many ads that it was hard to pick the meat out from
the fat of the ads. People began to complain and Art requested that only one
ad be put on the list per week but allowed for something truly exceptional
or unique to be announced on the list. If you think about how many meteorite
dealers there are these days, if each one put an ad here each week, it would
be pretty much wall to wall ads with some meteorite discussion in between.

Since the list states that ads are allowed but no major advertising, use a
link instead, most members adhere to this policy. Also the word Ad is to
appear in the subject line when listing items for sell on the list so
members who are not wanting to read ads can move on. I agree that it would
be useful to have two areas, one for pure discussion and one for ads so list
members could select the area that they want to view. You can however set up
your filter to move ads into a folder and then read them later or delete.
All my best!

--AL Mitterling