[meteorite-list] Advertising comment

From: WWW XXX <m27-dumbbell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:16:37 -0600

resend, posting probs.

Uwe, posting advertising to a captive audience is what makes many of the dealers active list members. Their input is important as Martin has explained. When you mature as a list member (hope to see you around) you will realize this, unfortunately many great list members don't have time to keep up with the list. They live in the cruel world and mostly not in a toga wearing, endowed or pensioned environments in pursuit of pure knowledge. Still some are very effective at what they do and vital spokes in the wheel. There is not always the same luxury for some of the people who have the focus to drive field meteoritics to higher and higher (and sometimes lower) levels. To do these things someone wants to do without worrying about paying the bills and feeding hungry mouths, would not materialize easily and remove some of the fun they like in their lives for some minor adjustment for us.

All you need to do is filter your email for SALE and AD. It is such a simple solution it makes me wonder why such intelligent people complain about this. As a scientist, consider the list raw and unbiased data. What you do with it is up to you. Why add restrictions that will stifle anyone, especially moral ones like, "I think the list should bla bla bla". Better is to be accepting and scientific about this and not ask everyone else to serve us exactly the way we think if by some trivial effort we can do it ourselves. Many list members love our dealers. Even the ones we hate.

Also, your fake Nantan problem. Is this an IMCA problem really? You say the IMCA helped you get some money back but tolerated direct violations of the code of ethics (implying hypocrisy?). Were you happy with this consolation prize of cash back at the time? You don't tell us who the dealers were, how much you paid, and finally how much you recovered, and you don't tell us the other side of the story. Name the dealer and state the details if you want to make it list business and give us enough data to be sympathetic. If you hold back, I can only think you feel you have some responsibility for the problem. Many of us love to hear a real story (and others not). Also tell us if you went along with the refund arrangement and waived your right to a full refund and are now changing your mind. What independent tests were done to prove to the seller it was a fake? Who's responsibility are those independent tests, really? (seller or buyer, I don't know) Did the seller and IMCA all agree they were fakes or we
re they in a position of just having to trust you and give you money back for whatever you sent them back. Otherwise the post will be open to misinterpretation be limited in value to list members. Just like an advertising that is not very interesting. oh well, then it's up to me to filter I guess, lazy me.

Also, thanks for posting. Some have been extremely inventive posts.

Best. The Planetary Guy.