[meteorite-list] IMCA Alternative Group

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:30:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

I will soon be starting a Yahoo discussion group to lay the groundwork
for a new meteorite group. This group will be for collectors, dealers,
hunters, scientists, and the curious. The function of this group will
be to maintain the scientific and cultural integrity of meteorites, as
well as policing the market for frauds and frivolous use of meteoritical
material. This group will also co-sponsor classifications for stones
and irons belonging to members - and these new classifications will
be submitted on a yearly basis to the Meteoritical Society for
consideration and publication in the bulletin.

This group will be all-inclusive. All persons with a SPOTLESS record
of good business practice and personal ethics are invited to join.
The only requirements are that members show the utmost respect to
meteorites and the science of meteoritics. This club will also
promote science/meteorite outreach at schools, libraries, youth groups,
and other places where promising young minds can be introduced to
meteoritics. The club will make available, for free, teaching and
learning materials for this purpose.

This organization is not intended to be a rival or competition for
the IMCA - rather, it is meant as an alternative for those who are
looking for a fresh perspective on the field and hobby of meteoritics.

The Yahoo group I am starting is not going to be the group per-se,
the Yahoo group is a temporary place to discuss and lay the groundwork
for creating this organization. I want to do this right, so it will
take some time - there is no rushing this.

Anyone who is interested in discussing this project, please contact
me offlist at mike at galactic-stone.com

I am open to suggestions, constructive criticisms, and ideas.

PS - eventually, all prospective members will undergo a vetting
process, which includes a thorough background check of online
business practices.

Best regards and happy holidays!

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale