[meteorite-list] Don't Change!

From: Eric Wichman <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:50:45 -0800

Hi all,

This is a long one, but it's one I hope you'll read and give some
feedback on.

With all the talk here recently about spamming, ADs, marketing, new and
old failed meteorite sites, groups, forums, lists, advertising, flaming,
trolling, BS, back stabbing, libelous, fraud, trash talk, bullying, and
websites that just don't take off I'd like to chime in a bit. Normally I
just keep quiet and read list posts quietly except for the occasional
little meteorite for sale ad. But as someone who has started no less
than 3 meteorite related websites, forums and more recently a blog I can
say from experience it's not as easy as it sounds. Take this as you
will. I mean it with no malice or disrespect to anyone whatsoever.

If someone wants to jump on building a new Meteorite Photo website
here's some domain names that are available:

meteoritephotos.com
meteorite-photos.com
meteoritegallery.com
meteoritealbum.com

No, I'm not saying build another meteorite related site, what I am
saying is stop trying to "change the world" (I'm guilty of this) to
anyone and everyone who posts to the Met-List trying to become the next
best thing in the meteorite world. What I mean is this...

If you're trying to change the world you're setting yourself up for
failure and most likely you don't even realize it. The meteorite world
is small. Very small. Meteorite collectors and dealers are rare compared
to other industries world wide, and whether we like it or not there are
cliques and niches within this limited group. At last count I think
there were some 950+ members on the Met-List but I could be wrong it
might be more now. Now I know there are lots of people in the meteorite
biz who aren't on the Met-List and who are members of other forums and
yahoo groups all over the web, some are members of my forum as well.
There's the Nugget Shooter meteorite forums, Illinois meteorites Sky
Rock Cafe, and of course my own Meteorite Watch forum. Not to mention
IMCA members, private collectors, dealers, museums, educational
institutions and other related groups are all part of the meteorite
world pie. Regardless of what kind of site it is, forum, blog, dealer
shop, encyclopedia, photo gallery, or a new group, the point is the math
doesn't work if you're solely trying to change the meteorite world by
starting a "better meteorite site".

If you're familiar with real world advertising and marketing you must
look at market share to evaluate whether a new product or service idea
is viable. You do that by figuring demographics, estimating numbers of
current customers and prospects and use a pie graph to visually
represent certain areas of the market share in any given industry. This
is where we get the phrase "a piece of the pie" in marketing terms.
Google for example enjoys an estimated 65% of market share in the search
engine industry. This is a HUGE piece of the largest pie in the world.
The pie consists of all people who have an internet connection and who
uses search engines to help navigate the trillions of web pages out
there. You can only imagine how large this industry will become. It has
unlimited growth potential considering the great numbers of future
internet users. As new internet users sign on each day this pie grows at
an exponential rate which will never end unless the internet goes away.
Google's product is knowledge and everyone wants that product!

The meteorite world is quite different in contrast. There is a very
limited supply of meteorites. The laws of supply and demand have a
greater effect on an industry who's product is limited in scope.
Everything being equal, the meteorite world's pie is very small. Maybe
at most in the number range of tens of thousands of collectors,
scientists and dealers. To be successful in any industry one must
provide a viable product or service at a reasonable price based on a
need or want. The product herein is meteorites and the pieces of the pie
are all the dealer websites, groups, forums and lists out there. The
Met-List has the majority of the forum market share. That will probably
not change, there's really no need to... It provides a good service that
does what people need it to do. No more no less.

The meteorite world itself will change when someone provides something
that the "majority" of people in this industry need or want. Not
something that "everyone" needs. Who is anyone to dictate what people
need though? Don't make the mistake of looking for or trying to provide
a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. I made this mistake as did
many others on list and off. In my excitement for meteorites I forgot
some very basic rules in marketing.

I've only been in this biz for a little over a year. I started back in
August of 07' after my girlfriend got me a meteorite for my birthday. In
that time I've started many meteorite related websites including a list,
a group a forum and most recently a blog. I know from experience it is
not easy to change something. Especially when it really doesn't need to
be changed. Ever since I got my first meteorite I've been hooked just
like many new meteorite enthusiasts are when they first get into the
field.The excitement of meteorites is universal and they become
extremely addicting to the small percentage of people who are fascinated
at first glance. Then you have your "that's cool" people who simply say
"that's cool" and never get into meteorites like we do. The point being
that the customer base is super small, the product supply is even
smaller and trying to make a be all website just doesn't work.

The only way to really change things is to help people, not change them.
It's about psychology, philosophy, statistics and it's cliche, but it's
true nonetheless. As a friend of mine recently told me, the way to
change is to "Provide a difference".

If you provide a difference people both want and need the change will be
automatic.

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA