[meteorite-list] Pallasite Vs Mesosiderite

From: al mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:09:24 -0500

Hi Pete and all,

Pallasites are named from their discover the German naturalist Protr Pallas
and are NOT named from the asteroid 2 Pallas. As said previously they are
stony-iron material containing olivine crystals that are enclosed in an iron
metal. The crystals are often of gem quality. Their is variation on the
amount of crystal to iron metal ratio. Sometimes having more crystals and
less metal and sometime just the opposite. Some specimens like Glorieta
Mtns. the crystal material simply runs out and you are left with all metal.
The Olivine in most pallasites are rich in magnesium, the metals have nickel
(of course) germanium, and gallium contents that are very similar to the
iron meteorite group (IIIAB) which is the most populous and contains over
200 meteorites.

There are three groups of Pallasites, Eagle Station, Kentucky is one that
has iron rich olivines and metals which are composed differently from the
other iron groups. Suggesting similar formation but from a different parent
body.

Mesosiderites are stony-irons composed of nearly equal amounts of metal and
silicates. It is thought that the iron and the silicates formed from two
different parent body sources and then through collision mixed and
solidified. The stony material in mesosiderites consists mostly of pyroxenes
and plagioclase. Many of the fragments that contain the silicate are similar
to eucrites, diogenites, and howardites or come from an achondrite body.
Missing in mesosiderites (in any abundance) is olivine, the most abundant
mineral in ordinary chondrites. So mesosiderites are mixtures of core
material and crust materials from a highly differentiation parent body. The
stony material in these have been recrystallized from possible mixing with
molten iron. Age for these are the same as iron and other achondrite bodies
suggesting that the formation occurred early on in the solar system history.
There are something like 40 different mesosiderite find and falls. The
cooling rate is interesting as these cooled very slowly and no explanation
as how they could of cooled so slowly unless they formed within a very large
asteroid parent body.

Best!

--AL Mitterling

Mitterling Meteorites