[meteorite-list] The hunt for green crystals in Udei Station

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2008 17:34:12 UT

Hi Mike, Peter and List,

Peter writes:

"I found a similar - about 2 mm wide - green
 inclusion in a slice of my Steinbach meteorite"

Mike T. writes:

"Anyone else out there with a scope and some Udei
 Station may want to hunt for these little gems"

These emerald green gems are pyroxene crystals - augite to be exact!
You find them in several irons, especially the silicate-bearing ones
like these that I have in my collection:

- Udei Station
- Landes
- Miles (from Martin Horejsi's collection)
- Patagonia (Remember Mike Farmer's emerald green jewel in one of his specimens!?)
- Caddo County [not (yet) in my collection]

Hope everyone had a wonderful
Xmas and is looking forward
to a Happy, Peaceful 2009!

Bernd