[meteorite-list] Michael Cottingham's BATH FURNACE meteorite

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:03:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello Bernd and all,

Just returned from Tucson late yesterday and am
catching up on email. Bernd is right about Bath
Furnace, it is a very interesting witnessed fall. So
I thought I'd add a bit more to the story.

The following link is to an image of a Bath Furnace
part slice from Al Lang's website:

http://www.nyrockman.com/museum/bath-furnace-58.htm

As you can see it has a characteristic mottled
appearance that was apparent when the meteorite was
first broken. Ward stated: "The inner structure of
the stone...is quite compact and dense, taking a good
polish. It is a light gray base, blotched evenly
throughout with patches of clove-brown iron oxide.
Most of these are cloudlike in indefinite
contour...That the brown blotches before referred to
are due to the oxidation of iron can not be doubted;
but as there has been no opportunity for this process
to have gone on, either since the fall of the stone or
during its passage through our atmosphere, the
question is raised as to [where] its having found the
oxygen in the parent body from whence it came?"

The TKW of Bath Furnace is 86.5 kg and the main mass
is the oriented 80 kg stone that Bernd mentioned and
linked. It is a show piece at the Field Museum of
Natural History in Chicago. That leaves only 6.5 kg
for other institutional and private collections.

Cheers,
Frank

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C12&frpp=25&from=R10&satitle=Bath+Furnace&sacat=3239%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=68775&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=meteorite-collector&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fgtp=