[meteorite-list] RFS Picture - February 11, 2008

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2008 19:41:49 UT

http://www.rocksfromspace.org/February_11_2008.html

This R3-6 Rumuruti chondrite (formerly Carlisle Lakes grouplet) is so fresh
and unweathered that its sulfides (troilite, pyrrhotite, and pentlandite) glitter
like finest, molten gold dust and this glitter is everywhere all over its matrix,
in its dark clasts as well in the lighter-colored clasts. Professor Greshake*, who
analyzed and classified this R chondrite writes that FeNi metal is very rare and
so I am very glad I detected a very small, rectangular (0.3 x 0.1 mm) metal
speck in my 5.621-gram slice of this 49.7-gram exotic beauty! According to
Hutchison, R chondrites have a mean chondrule diameter of 0.3-0.5 mm and
the ones I measured in my slice are in this range: 0.25-0.45 mm (approx.).

* http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/special-nwa5035.html

Cheers,

Bernd