[meteorite-list] Paleo Meteorite

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:46:06 -0500

Hi Steve and List,

NWA 2828 has the pebbles that helped to classify this "Paleo"meteorite. Here
is a link to one of the slices I had that illustrates this occurrence
including a few other photos of NWA 2828:

NWA 2828 EL3:
Photograph of a 24.9g NWA 2828 slice with rhyolite pebble (image 1):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828pebble.jpg

Photograph of magnified radial pyroxene chondrule (image 2):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828chondrule.jpg

Photograph of magnified whitish enstatite-rich clast (image 3):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828clast.jpg

Photograph of a 14.3g complete slice of NWA 2828 (image 4):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa2828/nwa2828slice.jpg

I have plenty of the "Blue" material, a List member in the recent past
posted that this may be "aubrite" material but chondrules were found there
too, sorry. So far, NWA 4799 is the first and only true aubrite from
Northwest Africa! Here are some links to this "Truly" amazing Aubrite. Do
not forget that when I announced NWA 4799 that I also offered a 100% Money
Back Guarantee that it will remain classified as an "Aubrite". I believe
this is important because of the NWA 2828 reclassification to EL3 and the
beliefs of some who think the pairings to NWA 2828 are aubrites:

NWA 4799 "True" Aubrite:

Image of 26.7 gram polished half of largest stone:

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4799/nwa4799a.jpg

Image of large whitish enstatite grains at 26x magnification:

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4799/nwa4799c.jpg

Image of large enstatite grain and veins of goethite from alteration of
metal at 20x magnification (lower left shows small metal grain):

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4799/nwa4799d.jpg

Image of large enstatite grains at 32x magnification:

http://www.lunarrock.com/nwa4799/nwa4799e.jpg

Enjoy!
Greg

Greg Hupe