[meteorite-list] Wed Total Lunar Eclipse

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:52:13 -0500

Beautiful eclipse here in Savannah, GA. Intermittent clouds but mostly
clear and crisp. I am observing through a 120mm f8.3 refractor at low (40x)
power and the moon is an outstanding sight. With no central obstruction in
the refractor I initially had use use a polarizing filter to cut the
brightness and the sky background is inkey black. The ruddy color you see
is caused by continuous sunrises and sunsets as sunlight is refracted
through the Earth's atmosphere.

For an added treat, the bright "star" trailing (toward the east) the moon is
the planet Saturn.

Beautiful sight.

-Walter Branch