[meteorite-list] "not the best place to hunt meteorites"

From: Lasse Lindh <3l_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:42:32 +0100

Thanks Dave

Well, unfortunalty I haven't built it yet, I'm still waiting for those
magnets to arrive. But I will as soon as I got them. The problem is for
me is that I live in a temperate, humid, climate region with lot of
vegetation, plenty of farmlands and a region that has been populated by
humans the last 10.000 years. Any meteorite on the ground will either
be run over, buried under tons of buildning material or ploughed down by
farmers. There has also been an extensive use of man made gravel for
land fillings. This gravel is loaded with magnetite. One stroke over the
ground and the magnet looks like a porcupine with magnetite fragments... ;o)

Still, it's the only possible way to legally use a tool except your
eyes. Here in Sweden we need a permit from the local authorities to use
a metal detector. That's a tough law. That means that you can get
caught by using one to find your lost keys on your own front lawn.
Sounds rediculus, but that's the truth. It has everything to do withg
protection of archaelogical treasures.

The only possible areas to use the magnets are on crop fields after the
harvest and grasslands.

regards

Lasse