[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an online forum format?

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:19:18 -0500

I don't know about other people (haven't read all of the replies yet) but here
are somr reasons for me:

1.) A mailing list automaticly sends the information to you-- you get all the
updates at once just by opening your e-mail app. With web forums, it is up to
you to actively search for new information, popping in and checking updates on
possibly several different threads located in several different areas. E-mail
is therefore easier and more convenient.

2.) Archiving-- if you want to keep the information that you read, it is simple
with e-mail-- just avoid deleting it. With web forums, again it takes active
effort on your part to save that information-- sometimes lots of trouble.
(Options include printing out physical copies, copying and pasting to a
document, or installing a PDF-creating applet to make PDFs from the page--
trusting an on-line archive of the posts at the original site just doesn't cut
it for me). Again, e-mail is easier and more convenient.