[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an onlineforum format?

From: Art <blurtheline_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:40:43 -0800

Hi Everyone;

First of all ... Anne, it was great seeing you as well (and Geoff,
Steve(s), Mike, ET, Sonny, and many others!) along with all of your
wonderful meteorites!

Now, I'll respond to David's initial post, both from a personal
preference standpoint and as well as from a web admin's standpoint.

>From a personal standpoint I have to agree with Norbert and Darren;
while I do use several forums I get much better use from the mailing
lists I belong to. It seems that no matter how hard I try I can't seem
to make myself go back to the forums on any regular basis (I often
post a forum topic and then forget I did - not seeing any replies for
weeks). I know that many forums have features built-in to handle that
type of thing (e.g. topic subscription, notification, etc.) but I just
don't seem to use them (and I am pretty tech savvy). Probably the old
dog/new trick thing that John mentioned.

>From a web admin's standpoint, I would actually rather have the
conversations going on in a forum as they would be easier to manage,
as well as easier to monetize (and help pay for hosting, etc.).
Meteorite Central actually started out as a forum ten years ago but
never really took off in that format.

I think the long-term answer is something similar to yahoo groups,
which kind of uses a forum as the "backup" to a mailing list. I am in
the process of integrating the current mailing list with the forum
that is on Meteorite Central. It's an involved process and I don't
have an ETA on completion. The way it <will> work is that emails sent
to the list and posts made to the forum will do basically the same
thing, so members who like the emails wouldn't see any difference, but
members who like the forum format could use it that way, along with
the added features a forum would offer. I'll keep everyone posted
regarding progress.

In the meantime, I hope that everyone continues to enjoy the mailing
list, as well as all the other resources out there!

Best Regards, Art
http://www.meteoritecentral.com