[meteorite-list] More on "not the best place to hunt meteorites" thread

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:17:53 -0700

Hi Lasse, List,
That is very true. Small like that does make it hard to make a
determination, and makes it harder yet to show someone else the
details. They are none-the-less exciting for me even though I have
to view them under magnification. The small size is also one of two
reasons I have refrained from sending them out for authentication.
I'm not sure any one of them by itself would be worth the expense.
The other is because a number of the people on this List have already
complained about people running small insignificant (or was it
unimportant) stones through the labs. I respect that, to a degree.
If I was to put my tiny little specimens in the mix it would probably
clog the system even more. i don't want that at this point anyway.
Suffice it to say, I have found "suspect" stones with my magnets.
And they will remain suspect until either I come across something I
believe is worthwhile, or I get lucky and run into a qualified
someone willing to take time to look them over and possibly
authenticate one or more without clogging the system. Still, it is
a fun hobby providing me with much enjoyment and giving me
inspiration to learn even more about the earth and beyond. The
"hobby" part may be a rub on the List though, I don't know. A hobby
is all it can be to me though as I can't afford to sink hugh dollars
into something that sits on a shelf that very few people besides
myself would even recognize as being worth anything. Not to mention
that in times of a severely stressed economy might not be worth
anything near what I had to pay for it, if anything at all. When I
invest in some non-essential thing, I call it "bubble making." The
trouble with bubbles is that they usually burst and you loose most of
it. I have to go into my bubble making always with that in mind.
Just an old man's life-hardened and somewhat cynical viewpoint you
understand. And now for the emoticon, so no one takes offense at all
this BS : )

Thanks for your responses Lasse and others.
All the best,
Mike