[meteorite-list] Some Meteorite Prices prior to 2000/2001

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:45:56 +0100

Hi Bernd,

indeed it seems that the 90ies were the decade, when meteorites woke up from
their Big Sleep and stepped out from their splendid isolation they were kept
in from a very few meteoriticist on the globe.
Maybe because of the developments regarding internet, not to forget such
great propagandists like a Haag.

Of course there were also locales in the 90ies to be had much cheaper than
today and not all were so mythical affordable in the 80ies (Bernd look on
your Zeitschel-Labels - paid for my small Mundrabillas and Odessa more than
today, was the same time, when you started).

But the main difference was that the collectors had a poor choice, compared
to the glut of especially the rare types today.
To accomplish a systematic type-collection then was a quite impossible
venture. And especially in the 90ies one would have had to sell wife &
children, if such a collection shouldn't consists of specks and crumbs only.

Btw. I'm not so old, but the 60ies and 70ies seemed to be quite a slump for
meteorites, especially if one looks at the price compilations of Cohen from
the late 19th century, where the prices don't differ from the non-desert
level of today.

My concern is, that the newer collectors recognize, that they are just
living in the very years, where all types are without larger efforts
accessible, even the (still) most and really exceedingly rare stuff
and that they are still priced, that it is possible&affordable for almost
everyone to assemble a really meaningful, significant and relatively
complete collection of all types and classes.
That they are collecting now in a time, which (maybe in a shorter time than
it should) once could be referred as a kind of Golden Age.

Has anyone prices from the 20ies to 60ies to share?

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----