[meteorite-list] EL3 vs Aubrite Finally Settled

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:57:01 +1100

Hey Tom & all,

As Tom mentioned, a page of very interesting reading has now been presented
on the NAU website. I agree with Tom... it's a great overview of the whole
situation and I too, highly recommend taking a look at it. And don't miss
the section towards the bottom titled "Problems and proposed solutions".

Cheers,

Jeff

Tom Wrote:
--------------

Hi list, Al Haggounia 001 NWA 2965 and NWA 2828, EL7, Aubrite, EL3! This
has been an interesting meteorite from the start. A rare Enstatite and lots
of unanswered questions. Then, on top of that, it turns out to be a huge
find!

NAU (Northern Arizona University) has written a paper and put it on their
site.

http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/index.html

The paper is titled "The Al Haggounia "Fossil or Paleo" Meteorite Problem".

If you have even a passing interest in this meteorite, check out this paper.
They address the many questions with photos and analysis of the material
types. And yes there is a photo of a slice with both the "Blue and Brown"
phase material. There are even some SEM color micrographs!!!

I can't imagine a more complete explanation. I emailed a "Thank you" to Ted
Bunch who (I am sure) worked hard on this.

The direct link to the paper is
http://www4.nau.edu/meteorite/Meteorite/Al_Haggounia.html

I would love to hear what others think.

Tom Phillips