[meteorite-list] Carancas crater

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:24:35 -0700

Hi Mike-

Being _highly_ skeptical that the Carancas event was hypervelocity or
crater forming was an entirely appropriate attitude during the first
days. After all, not a year goes by that we don't get stories out of
usually backwater places about fiery meteorites, destroyed homes, and
craters. How often do these stories actually pan out? Once. It is
precisely because Carancas appears to be unique that it is generating so
much interest amongst meteor (and to a lesser extent, meteorite)
researchers.

It is also important to consider that there is no sharp distinction
between a "crater" and an "impact pit". Personally, I consider the
presence of shock structures to push this into the "crater" category,
but even so, identifying that evidence took several months.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com