[meteorite-list] Carancas crater

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:48:36 -0500

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:17:56 +0100, you wrote:

>I guess terminology is always descriptive.
>Hence it can't change the objects, that it describes.

"A rose by any other name"... You could have quoted Shakespeare in it's
original German. :-)

>The hole in Carancas will stay the same, no matter if it's called "crater"
>or "pit".

I think that the problem some have with calling Carancas a crater is a
conceptual one-- people want to think of a crater as something blasted in hard
soil or rock that will be around for centuries or more-- a splat in mud that'll
be gone in a year or two just doesn't seem that impressive.