[meteorite-list] NWA 4522 - Interesting Pieces, Pictures!

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2008 19:06:48 UT

Hello Mark and List,

"4522 is one of the most beautiful chondrites I've seen in my (limited)
collecting experience. Here's a composite of a few of my slices:"

http://meteorites.cc/nwa4522-col.jpg

I can't help but agree and that's why there are four slices of this beautiful
LL3.5 chondrite in my collection. One of these slices is the typical chondrule
conglomerate with chondrules sitting bumper to bumper, the other three slices
are almost richer in clasts than in chondrules and they show an oddity a little
of which you can also recognize in Mark's lower left picture and very close to
the lower edge of his slice ... something that has a bluish tint.

In my 12.2-gram slice, this is a conspicuous bluish-grey trapezoidal clast measuring
a whopping 1.7 x 1.3 mm and resembling an LL6/7 clast or maybe it's even something
achondritic! No chondrules visible in this clast, ... none ... not a trace of one!

Bernd

To: mark at meteorites.cc
    rsvp321 at hotmail.com
Cc: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com